Reporting to the Regional Lead Marine Engineer, this key role is to provide subject matter expertise to the business in Shanghai, in the context of mechanical components and piping systems that are integral to functioning of ALS. You will be involved in a wide range of activities from overseeing the specification of components and their interface at ship to assisting with managing the technical relationship with key OEMs, chief amongst which are compressor manufacturers. You will assist in devising, instigating, executing and managing a programme of cost engineering activities agreed with senior management as relating to provision and integration of mechanical and piping systems. You will lead/assist projects aimed at development of system designs associated with vessels that are First of Class in respect to installation of ALS.
- Take responsibility for health and safety in all aspects of your role.
- Provide subject matter expertise for mechanical, HVAC and piping design/modifications for installation of ALS both as a Retrofit and as part of a Newbuild project.
- Provide a focal point to our engineering teams in context of mechanical engineering, HVAC and piping systems for assigned Projects.
- Manage demands for in discipline Project engineering support, providing guidance to the business in terms of needs to augment through supporting engineering Framework Agreements, for which you will have technical responsibility for deliverables.
- Apply mechanical engineering expertise on Projects in support of Project Engineers (PE).
- Develop and present technical arguments effectively and influence others accordingly.
- Balance conflicting priorities and manage workload effectively.
- Attend and lead vessel surveys activities.
- Perform duties as requested by senior management from time to time.
- Attendance at supplier, partner and customer sites for meetings, development activities, FAT etc.
- Attendance at shipyards including oversight of system commissioning activities.
- Assist with the development of a suite of standard Project deliverables that articulate the mechanical/piping/HVAC elements of ALS installation.
- Higher Degree in Mechanical/Marine Engineering or a related subject or equivalent industry qualifications (Chief Engineer).
- Chartered Engineering Status is desirable although not essential.
- A minimum of 5 years working in a marine/mechanical engineering role in the marine industry with a further 2-3yrs in a management role with technical responsibility for mechanical systems design.
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of marine air compressor design, operation and installation in a marine environment is desirable.
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of marine piping systems and ability to calculate pipe system losses, pipe stresses, heat transfer and similar characteristics is desirable.
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of marine HVAC systems and ability to calculate air flow needs given ambient conditions and compartment heat load is desirable.
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of Classification Society rules relating to the design, construction and modification of mechanical/marine systems.
- Experience relating to the oversight and verification of mechanical works executed within a shipyard environment.
- Experience relating to cost analysis of mechanical and piping system installation is desirable.
- Conversant with AutoCAD and/or similar drafting packages. Some experience with Solid Works/3D modelling is desirable although not essential.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentational skills.
- Good analytical skills are essential with ability to use MathCAD or similar being desirable.
- Good personal organisational skills.
- Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects to strict time scales.
- Understands business objectives and can influence stakeholders to meet objectives.
- Displays strong interpersonal skills and is accessible and approachable.
- Willing to travel within base country and occasionally overseas.
- Team leadership experience.
- Travel – some domestic travel for meetings and sitework support may be required, and potential international travel may also be required.
- Place of work – Silverstream Technologies (Shanghai) Office, Lujiazui.