Reporting to the Lead Engineer, this key role is to provide subject matter support to the business in Shanghai, in the context of structural design, fabrication and integration of our ALS. You will be involved in a wide range of activities from supporting the design and fabrication process associated with the key structural components of our system, including devising means of simplifying the structural integration at ship, to supporting the established relationships with fabricators of such components and their installation at ship. You will support the execution and management of a programme of cost engineering activities agreed with the senior management as relating to provision and integration of our Air Release Units.
- Take responsibility for health and safety in all aspects of your role.
- Provide subject matter expertise relating to supporting the structural integration of ALS both as a Retrofit and as part of a Newbuild project, leading liaison with Class in terms of structural analysis needs.
- Provide a point of connect to our engineering teams in context of structural design and fabrication.
- Assist in the management of demand for engineering support within discipline, providing guidance to the business in terms of needs to augment through supporting engineering Framework Agreements.
- Provide technical support relating to fabrication activities, encompassing amongst others;
- Oversee quality and timeliness of 3rd party fabrication activities.
- Execute cost effectiveness review of current ARU design and delivery philosophy.
- Apply structural engineering expertise on Projects in support of Project Engineers (PE).
- Develop and present technical arguments effectively and influence others accordingly.
- Balance conflicting priorities and manage workload effectively.
- Attend and lead vessel surveys activities.
- Perform duties as requested by senior management from time to time.
- Attendance at supplier, partner and customer sites for meetings, inspection etc.
- Attendance at shipyards including oversight of ARU installation activities.
- Develop suite of standard Project deliverables that articulate the mechanical/piping/HVAC elements of ALS installation.
- Higher Degree in Naval Architecture, structural engineering or a related subject.
- Chartered Engineering Status.
- A minimum of 5 years working in a structural design and/or construction role in the marine industry with evidence of technical responsibility for structural works executed.
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of the design of hull structures with a specific emphasis to ship modification and means of verification of structural changes through application of first principles and Finite Element analysis tools.
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of Classification Society rules relating to the design, construction and modification of ship structures.
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of construction/fabrication practices, processes and standards within the shipbuilding and/or related industries.
- Experience relating to the oversight and verification of structural works executed within a shipyard environment is desirable.
- Experience relating to cost analysis of structural modifications at ship and fabrication of new structures is desirable.
- Fully conversant with AutoCAD and/or similar drafting packages. Some experience with Solid Works/3D modelling is desirable although not essential.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentational skills.
- Good analytical skills are essential.
- Good personal organisational skills.
- Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects to strict time scales.
- Understands business objectives and can influence stakeholders to meet objectives.
- Displays strong interpersonal skills and is accessible and approachable.
- Willing to travel within base country and occasionally overseas.
- Team leadership experience.
- Travel – some domestic travel for meetings and sitework support may be required, and potential international travel may also be required.
- Place of work – Silverstream Technologies (Shanghai) Office, Lujiazui.