This key role is to provide Marine Control & Automation (C&A) subject matter expertise to the business in Shanghai. You will be involved in a wide range of activities from developing and maintaining the core control and automation solution, applying it to projects and supporting the in-service fleet. You will also provide technical input to the strategic supply chain plans being implemented by the company.
- Provide technical support and advice to engineering and project teams.
- Standard C&A Solution;
- Review & maintain solutions utilised on current and previous projects.
- Develop and document the standard core solution for use on future projects (specifications, drawings etc.).
- Maintain core solution and manage releases using robust configuration management.
- Obsolescence management.
- Manage new product introduction (NPI).
- Apply C&A on Projects;
- Support tendering activity by recommending technical solution and costings.
- Capture the requirements for projects.
- Definition and specification of I/O interfaces to ST hardware.
- Maintenance of Product Documentation to reflect I/O (Block Diagrams, Termination Drawings, I/O Lists, Technical Specifications, FAT, HAT and SAT acceptance procedures).
- Work with shipyards and owners to agree and freeze requirements specification and to support technical aspects of ship build programme.
- Plan and complete project specific design/configuration (hardware, functions, software, integration), ensuring customer and project requirements are met.
- Integration with existing ship systems.
- Support hardware procurement (Specification, Supplier Liaison, Supplier Quality Management).
- Specify, test, and troubleshoot PLC based control systems and associated components.
- Support Commissioning.
- Identify and manage technical risks on the projects and ensure mitigation plans are in place.
- In-Service Support – covering C&A aspects of deployed systems.
- Supply Chain - Technical aspects of supply chain strategy to explore additional supply chain options and support successful growth.
- Degree in electrical, electronic, or automation related subject.
- A Minimum of 5 years working in automation and control or a similar technical discipline (ideally in the Marine industry).
- System integration and working on multi-discipline projects.
- Design of PLC based machinery control systems including PID regulated devices, sequencing, and event-based control.
- Modernisation and porting of existing functionality to new platforms and/or operating systems as required.
- Network and communications protocols (e.g., Ethernet, Modbus, Profibus, NMEA).
- Knowledge of HMI design and modification following industry best practice.
- Knowledge of PLC Programming on platforms following IEC 61131.
- Knowledge of Matlab/Simulink or Object-oriented programming languages advantageous.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- On-site commissioning experience.
- Good report writing and presentation skills.
- Good personal organisational skills.
- Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects to strict time scales.
- Understands business objectives and can influence stakeholders to meet objectives.
- Displays strong interpersonal skills and is accessible and approachable.
- Willing to travel within base country and occasionally overseas.
- Knowledge of marine classification society rules (DNV, ABS, LR, etc.).
- Team leadership experience.
- Travel – some domestic travel for meetings and sitework support may be required, and potential international travel may also be required.
- Place of work – Silverstream Technologies (Shanghai) Office, Lujiazui.