Reporting to the Commissioning Manager, this role requires an experienced and flexible Marine Engineer with specialist knowledge of automation and/or air compressor and air delivery systems. The role will be responsible for overseeing commissioning of the Silverstream® System and subsequent sea trials, ensuring smooth interaction and engagement of the relevant parties including Original Equipment Manufacturers and the shipyard as well as the owning Project Engineer and Technical teams internally. Within this role the Commissioning Engineer will inject their expertise in support of the assigned Project Engineer to ensure that planning, resource allocation and subsequent execution of commissioning activities are aligned to success. The role will also support fault diagnosis and repair of in-service systems, carry out surveys of existing installations (for overhaul or upgrade) as well as providing system training to ship crew and internal personnel. Furthermore, there will be support to the Customer Support Department, and wider business, in solving technical/warranty issues and performing investigations through robust corrective action methodology.
- Take responsibility for health and safety in all aspects of the role including the maintenance of generic Risk Assessments relating to commissioning activities.
- Carry out and support commissioning and sea trial activities.
- Carry out on board diagnosis and repairs.
- Carry out periodic inspections and surveys of installed systems.
- Provide at ship training to ship crew and internal employees, and actively support the development of training material and programmes.
- Provide concise but informative written reports of all ship visits.
- Share lessons learnt in a collaborative way both informal and formal.
- Engage in formal feedback processes in the continual pursuit of system quality and performance improvements.
- Provide technical support to owners and operators, both remotely and in person.
- When required, support and monitor 3rd party OEM’s and contractors in carrying out warranty and retail repairs, and commissioning activities on Silverstream’s behalf.
- Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Marine Engineering, related subject or equivalent qualifications.
- +7yrs experience aligned to management of installation and commissioning activities at ship of complex systems.
- Significant and demonstratable experience of marine automation systems or air compressor/air delivery within an industrial setting, ideally marine
- Ability to read and interpret both mechanical and electrical drawings.
- Ability to work independently, even when from a remote location.
- Demonstratable knowledge of safe working practices including risk assessments.
- Proven ability to work professionally for relatively long periods of time in remote and often unfamiliar countries and cultures, including as a ship riding Engineer.
- Ability to construct and write concise and professional technical reports.
- Proven excellent written, verbal, and presentational skills.
- Excellent analytical and diagnostic skills are essential.
- Confident and clear interpersonal skills are required for success in a role which will engage with a range of cultures, languages, and business levels
- Confident and clear English language skills, both written and spoken
- Regular overseas travel to visit ships/shipyards and as be an on-board riding Engineer when required. Trips will at times be at short notice.
- Positive and optimistic personality, natural resilience and happy to take ownership of tasks, must relish planned and unplanned challenges, often time sensitive
- Possession of a valid Seaman’s Discharge Book is advantageous
- Travel – Significant international travel will be required, and the post holder will be required to maintain travel documentation and vaccinations ready to travel wherever and whenever needed.
- Visiting Ships - Travel will include time on board ships whilst at sea, either between ports (riding Engineer), in build, in dry-dock, or at anchor.
- Health – Must retain health and fitness to a level required to be able to carry out the physical nature of duties, which includes ability to travel and access all areas of ship and its relevant equipment including climbing boarding ladders. Company may require post holder to pass industry recognised medicals when required.
- Confined Spaces – The Silverstream® System does have certain components contained within confined and remote parts of the ship, for example Duct-Keels and Pipe Tunnels, the role holder will be expected to access these areas when required.
- Contracted to our London office, but with flexibility in accordance with our Hybrid Working Policy when not attending ship.