Reporting to the Lead Structural Engineer, this role is to provide subject matter support to the Silverstream Technologies business in the context of structural design, fabrication and integration of our proprietary Air Release Units (ARU).
The role is focused on provision of domain knowledge relating to ship structural design, Class rules, and first principal analysis (FEA) applied to verification of hull modifications. Support extending to technical discussions with Customers (Shipyard, Ship Owners, Operators and Charterers), Design House and Class relating to the structural integration of ARUs.
Within the role, you will be involved in a wide range of activities from supporting the design and fabrication process associated with this key structural components of our system, including devising means of simplifying the structural integration at ship, to supporting the established relationships with fabricators, Class and others.
- Take responsibility for health and safety in all aspects of your role
- Provide subject matter expertise relating to supporting the structural design and integration of ARUs both in context of a Retrofit and as part of a Newbuild project, supporting discussions with Class, Shipyard and Customers in terms of structural analysis needs and methodologies.
- Through the application of structural analysis tools, knowledge of ship structures and Class rules assist in simplification of ARU design and integration at ship. Simplification forming a primary business goal in developing ALS as a Product
- Act as repository of ship knowledge in context of understanding primary hull structural design consideration in vicinity of ARU positioning.
- Create and maintain guidance documents relating to ARU hull structural interfacing. Documents drawing upon best practice, company knowledge/experience and ARU design suite.
- Provide a point of connect to our engineering teams in context of structural design and fabrication
- Assist in the management of demand for engineering support within discipline, providing guidance to the business in terms of needs to augment through supporting engineering Framework Agreements
- Provide technical support relating to fabrication activities, encompassing amongst others;
- Oversee quality and timeliness of 3rd party fabrication activities
- Execute cost effectiveness review of current ARU design and delivery philosophy
- Apply structural engineering expertise on Projects in support of Project Engineers (PE)
- Retain a full understanding of accompanying performance driven ARU positioning considerations, working with Peers to integrate solutioning where feasible.
- Develop and present technical arguments effectively and influence others accordingly
- Balance conflicting priorities and manage workload effectively
- Perform duties as requested by senior management from time to time
- Attendance at supplier, partner and customer sites for meetings, inspection etc.
- Attendance at shipyards including oversight of ARU installation activities
Skills, Qualifications, Experience & Characteristics:
- Higher Degree in Naval Architecture, structural engineering or a related subject
- Chartered Engineering Status is desirable though not essential
- Between 3-5 years working in a structural design role in the marine industry with evidence of technical responsibility for structural works executed
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of the design of hull structures with a specific emphasis to ship modification and means of verification of structural changes through application of first principles and Finite Element analysis tools
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of Classification Society rules relating to the design, construction and modification of ship structures
- A clear and demonstratable understanding of construction/fabrication practices, processes and standards within the shipbuilding and/or related industries is desirable
- Experience relating to the oversight and verification of structural works executed within a shipyard environment is desirable
- Experience relating to cost analysis of structural modifications at ship and fabrication of new structures is desirable
- Fully conversant with AutoCAD and/or similar drafting packages. Some experience with Solid Works/3D modelling is desirable although not essential
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentational skills
- Good analytical skills are essential
- Good personal organisational skills
- Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects to strict time scales
- Understands business objectives and can influence stakeholders to meet objectives
- Displays strong interpersonal skills and is accessible and approachable
- Willing to travel within base country and occasionally overseas
- Contracted to our London office, but with flexibility in accordance with our Hybrid Working Policy.
- Some international travel to support meetings and siteworks.